- Fire Department
- Career with the Fire Service
Career with the Fire Service
The Clermont Fire Department (CFD) provides an all-hazards approach in protecting the lives and property of the residents, businesses, and visitors of Clermont, Florida. CFD is consistently working to achieve and/or maintain the highest level of professionalism and efficiency on behalf of those it serves, and thus, contracted with the Center for Public Safety Excellence® (CPSE) to facilitate a method to document the department’s path into the future via a “Community-Driven Strategic Plan.”
The City of Clermont Fire Department Firefighter Overview and Benefits:
- Firefighter Hourly $16.78 ($43,695.12 based on 2604 hours annually)
- Additional 80 hours (non-worked) holiday pay per year
- Additional Paramedic incentive of $10,000 annually. (Must pass provisional process and be approved by the Medical Director)
- 13 Non-paid Kelly days per year (one per 28 day pay cycle)
- Annual merit raises of 2% up to 4% (Dependent on evaluation performance)
- Incentives for Special Operations certified personnel
- City pension with 3% multiplier and provision for “20 years and out”
- Medical, dental, vision, and disability insurance.
- Opportunities for promotion to ranks including Engineer, Lieutenant, Captain, Battalion Chief
Minimum requirements for job-offer* consideration:
Education and Experience:
- High school graduation or possession of acceptable equivalency diploma
Licenses, Certifications, and/or Registrations:
- Current State of Florida Firefighter Certificate of Compliance
- Current State of Florida Paramedic or EMT Certificate
- Florida Driver License with acceptable driving record
- Emergency Vehicle Operators Course (minimum 16-hour)
- AHA CPR for Healthcare Providers card (or equivalent)
- Current AHA ACLS Provider card (or equivalent-for paramedic)
*Applicants who are currently enrolled in Firefighter Minimum Standards or EMT may apply and perform the testing process provided that he or she can demonstrate full certification prior to a conditional offer. It will be the candidate’s responsibly to provide supporting documentation showing anticipated completion dates and provide copies of NREMT, Department of Health, and Bureau of Fire Standards and Training certificates.
The application process includes successful submission of all application requirements and certifications to the City of Clermont Employment opportunities link. Additional Fire/EMS Certifications and education accepted as well. All applicants must be a non-user of tobacco products for minimum of one (1) year prior to application.
Eligible candidates must complete an online application through the following link - Employment Opportunities | The official site of the City of Clermont, Florida, or by visiting the City’s website www.ClermontFL.gov, and clicking on “City Jobs.”
This process includes attaching / uploading proof of all eligibility items listed in the job description, along with all other related fire and EMS certificates.
Selected candidates will be invited to participate in the Clermont Fire Department (Fire and EMS) testing process. Candidates must pass each test / assessment in order to move on to the next stage of the process.
- Written tests as of current June 2023. Editions to be determined at each testing process.
- Two 50 question multiple choice tests
- 50 questions – IFSTA Essentials of Fire Fighting 6th Edition
- 50 questions – Emergency Care, 14th Edition
- Clermont Fire Department Physical Agility Tests
- Physical Agility Test
- Simulated Search
- Panel Interview Assessment
- Candidates selected to move on in the process must successfully pass pre-employment physical, drug screen, and background check per the City of Clermont.
Equal Opportunity Employer, Drug Free Workplace. Per Florida Statute 295.065, certain service members and veterans, and the spouses and family members of the service members and veterans, receive preference and priority in employment by the state and are encouraged to apply.