Careers with the Fire Service
The Clermont Fire Department (CFD) provides an all-hazards approach in protecting the lives and property of the residents, businesses, and visitors of Clermont, Florida. CFD is consistently working to achieve and/or maintain the highest level of professionalism and efficiency on behalf of those it serves, and thus, contracted with the Center for Public Safety Excellence® (CPSE) to facilitate a method to document the department’s path into the future via a “Community-Driven Strategic Plan.”
The City of Clermont Fire Department Firefighter - Overview and Benefits:
- Hourly $16.78 ($43,695.12 based on 2604 hours annually)
- Additional 80 hours (non-worked) holiday pay per year
- Additional Paramedic incentive of $10,000 annually (must pass provisional process and be approved by the Medical Director)
- 13 non-paid Kelly days per year (one per 28-day pay cycle)
- Annual merit raises of 2% up to 4% (dependent on evaluation performance)
- Incentives for Special Operations certified personnel
- City pension with a 3% multiplier and provision for “20 years and out”
- Medical, dental, vision, and disability insurance.
- Opportunities for promotion to ranks including Engineer, Lieutenant, Captain, and Battalion Chief
Minimum requirements for job offer* consideration include a high school diploma or acceptable equivalent diploma and the following:
- Current State of Florida Firefighter Certificate of Compliance
- Current State of Florida Paramedic or EMT Certificate
- Florida Driver’s License with an acceptable driving record
- Emergency Vehicle Operators Course (minimum 16-hour)
- AHA CPR for Healthcare Providers card (or equivalent)
- Current AHA ACLS Provider card (or equivalent for paramedic)
*Applicants who are currently enrolled in Firefighter Minimum Standards or EMT may apply and perform the testing process if he/she can demonstrate full certification prior to a conditional offer. It will be the candidate’s responsibility to provide supporting documentation showing anticipated completion dates and provide copies of NREMT, Department of Health and Bureau of Fire Standards and Training certificates.
The application process includes the successful submission of all application requirements and certifications to the City of Clermont employment opportunities link. Additional Fire/EMS Certifications and education are accepted as well. All applicants must be a non-user of tobacco products for a minimum of one (1) year prior to application.
Eligible candidates must complete an online application at the City of Clermont's Employment Opportunities page. This process includes attaching/uploading proof of all eligibility items listed in the job description, along with all other related fire and EMS certificates.
Selected candidates will be invited to participate in the Clermont Fire Department (Fire and EMS) testing process. Candidates must pass each test/assessment to move on to the next stage of the process:
- Written tests to include
- 2, 50-question, multiple-choice tests
- 50 questions – IFSTA Essentials of Fire Fighting
- 50 questions – Emergency Care
- Physical Tests:
- Agility Test
- Simulated Search
- Panel Interview Assessment:
Candidates selected to move to the next step in the process must successfully pass a pre-employment physical, drug screen and background check per the City of Clermont policy.
Equal Opportunity Employer, Drug-Free Workplace. Per Florida Statute 295.065, certain service members and veterans, and the spouses and family members of the service members and veterans, receive preference and priority in employment by the state and are encouraged to apply.