PROPOSED WASTEWATER/WATER RATE ADJUSTMENT INFORMATION
The City of Clermont water/wastewater facility built in 1995 is at 86 percent capacity and treats about 3.4 million gallons of wastewater each day. In order to meet the growing demands for utility services and mandatory Florida Department of Environmental Protection requirements, the City of Clermont needs to expand its wastewater treatment plant at an estimated cost of $49.6 million. The expansion will allow for an additional 2.5 million gallons of wastewater to be treated daily. A rate adjustment, an impact fee increase for developers, and existing impact fee funds will offset the costs.
A PUBLIC HEARING ON THE PROPOSED WATER/WASTEWATER RATE ADJUSTMENT
IS SCHEDULED FOR TUESDAY, MARCH 28, AT 6:30 P.M.
CLERMONT CITY HALL, 685 W. MONTROSE STREET
An independent consultant studied the existing water/wastewater rates and proposed necessary rate adjustments to allow the City to continue to provide utility services safely and efficiently to a growing community. The study showed the following:
- Clermont customers pay the lowest water/wastewater rates – by approximately $27/month – of other Lake County municipalities, as well as nearby Orange County communities
- Water rates were not adjusted for a 15-year period (2002-2017) and have been adjusted by an average of 2% since 2018
- Wastewater rates have been adjusted by an average of 2% percent each year since 2002
- Aging equipment and systems must be replaced to safeguard public health and safety as well as ensure reliable service
- The City is paying more in operating expenses, including:
- 40 % increase in power costs
- 22 % increase in health insurance
- 15 % increase in labor-related costs
- 7 % increase in materials and supplies costs
A 5-year plan was created that gradually adjusts customer rates and increases impact fees paid by developers. At the proposed 2027 rates, Clermont would maintain the lowest water/wastewater rates of surrounding communities.
How much will my bill change?
Statistics show the average Clermont residential customer with a single meter uses about 7,000 gallons of water/wastewater each month. Currently, that monthly charge is $49.03. The estimated proposed monthly change per year is as follows:
- 2023 - $5.17
- 2024 - $5.80
- 2025 - $6.53
- 2026 - $4.19
- 2027 - $4.48
To review the complete study, including graphs and charts as well as proposed monthly bills for 10,000, 12,000, and 15,000 gallons used. please read Water and Wastewater Revenue Sufficiency Study (PDF).
The original presentation, Utility Rates Study - March 21 (PDF) is also available.
If you have other questions on residential or commercial accounts, please call 352-241-7320.